Tuesday, June 12, 2012

not with a bang...


I did not come away from this course with the web design expertise I might have been hoping for (ten week course completed: $90,000 a year job please), but that is only because I wildly underestimated the amount of time and work required to nail down even the basics of these tools and web design.  That said, I feel I understand enough now that I know where to find these tools, that I could use them if I devoted myself more deeply to them, and most of all, the computer is far less scary that it was ten weeks ago.
I might not be ready to be a pioneer in Digital History, but I do understand much more of the basic language when I hear people talk about computers, so I don’t have to stand there quietly, nodding my head, pretending like I understand what they’re talking about until I find a chance to change the subject.  I also know how to take care of simple hurdles, such as transferring file types and downloading files on Zamzar or citations via Zotero.  My html knowledge is still week, but now I can see what pieces of sites look like in code and copy them, even if I still have a hard time changing the code to what I want it to look like.
Finally, I’m much more comfortable with the simple functions of my computer itself.  My Mac is only eight weeks old and I feel like I know it better than I did in 20 years of having a PC.  I had a lot of fun playing with iMovie and Garage Band and know they won’t be a problem when it comes time to use those tools for my podcast.  In fact, I plan to make each podcast into mini-documentary as well to post on YouTube.  It’s quick, easy and fun to make a Ken Burns style movie and will be able to reach that many more people.  Here’s a video I made for my old band, Holy Toledo.  It’s crude, but I’m getting better.



I know my Omeka site is lacking, but again, I feel like I understand the basics should I ever need to use Omeka in the future.  Seeing as there isn’t a practical use for my page beyond this class I had a hard time committing the time I probably should have into taking full advantage of the Omeka.
Thanks of this class I already know that I will be using Square Space (see blog five) when it comes time to build my site because it has all the simple tools for web design and each page looks unique and not “bloggy”.  I have the option of using html there, but now I know exactly the task I will be taking on if I attempt to do so.  In other words, I won’t be nearly as cocky as I was ten weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment